Menu

Attack in Istanbul : at least 39 dead and 65 wounded, including 3 French

At least 39 people, including 15 foreigners, were killed and 65 others injured in an attack on a famous night club of Istanbul where hundreds of people were celebrating the new year’s eve, in the night from Saturday to Sunday. At 1: 15 a.m. Sunday, an assailant armed with an assault rifle popped up in front of the nightclub Reina, in the heart of Istanbul, and opened fire on people who were in front of the entrance, according to the governor of Istanbul Vasip Sahin.

After entering the nightclub, the attacker fired randomly into the crowd, killing at least 39 people, including 15 foreigners, and 65 wounded, according to the Interior minister Süleyman Soylu. “A wild and ruthless, he has shot people who were just coming to celebrate the new year,” said Mr Sahin. According to the news channel NTV, several people have plunged into the Bosphorus to escape the gunfire.

Among the tourists present at the time of the attack, at least three frenchmen were wounded, announced on Sunday by the French minister of foreign Affairs Jean-Marc Ayrault. “We are in contact with the Turkish authorities who are in the process of body identification. At this stage, we have suffered three wounded, of French nationality, “the minister stressed in a press release that” condemns the cowardly and heinous attack “. The president of the Republic François Hollande has also condemned on Sunday the attack “with force and indignation,” and expressed his “solidarity with Turkey in this difficult time,” according to a statement released by the Elysée.

Wholeheartedly with the Turkey terribly struck by this symbolic night

— Jean-Marc Ayrault (@jeanmarcayrault) 1 January 2017

One Israeli woman was injured and another is missing, had already announced that an israeli spokesman. “One Israeli woman was injured and hospitalized, but his days are not in danger, while there has been no news of a second Israeli who was in the nightclub at the time of the attack “, said to theAgence France-Presse , the spokesman of the israeli ministry of foreign Affairs.

Always wanted

The Interior minister Süleyman Soylu has said that “the terrorist” was still sought by the police, seeming to indicate that there was only one assailant. The Turkish media had initially reported” at least one ” shooter disguised as Father Christmas. Witnesses quoted by the news agency Dogan has reported to have heard express themselves in Arabic, but this has not been confirmed by the authorities.

The Reina is an iconic night club of Istanbul, located in Ortaköy, a neighbourhood in the district of Besiktas, on the european side of the city. According to Dogan, it hosted at least 700 people came to celebrate the transition to the new year. The Reina nightclub posh, where the inputs are filtered, is located a few hundred meters of the place where took place the official celebration of the new year, at the edge of the Bosphorus.

17 000 police officers deployed

The attack has not yet been claimed, but Turkey has been the target of numerous attacks attributed to the islamic State or related to the rebellion separatist workers Party of Kurdistan (PKK), who have hit Istanbul and Ankara. However, after a year 2016 bloody, the Turkish authorities were on their guard in this day of new year’s eve and 17 000 police officers had been deployed in the city.

The Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Sunday that the shooting of the new year was to ” sow chaos in the country “. “They are working to destroy the morale of the country and wreak havoc, targeting civilians with such attacks and hate “, said the Turkish president in his first reaction to the mass shooting, according to a press release issued by the presidency.

Member of the international coalition that is fighting against the EI in Syria and Iraq, Turkey has started in August an offensive in northern Syria to repel the jihadists towards the south, but also the militias of kurds in syria. The syrian rebels supported by the Turkish army laid siege for several weeks the city of Al-Bab, a stronghold of the ARS in the north of Syria. In response to these military operations, EI has repeatedly threatened attacks on Turkey, has become one of the main targets of the jihadists.

No comments

Brought to you by:

Your AD Here ! Contact us at admin@appnews.be

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to AppNews and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Official Fan Page