Menu

Us Sanctions against Caracas

The United States have focused Thursday a severe blow to the camp of president Nicolas Maduro in placing them on their black list financial eight members of the supreme Court of venezuela, accused of having exacerbated the political crisis of the country by weakening the authority of Parliament.

These judges have “exacerbated the situation by interfering constantly with the branch of the legislative power”, said us Treasury secretary Steven Mnuchin, quoted in a press release.

In terms of sanctions, the eight judges, including the president of the supreme Court of Venezuela, see their possible assets in the United States are frozen and they cannot enter into a business relationship with Us.

“Shame to humanity”

The us president, Donald Trump has also qualified on Thursday for “shame for humanity” the political crisis in Venezuela, saying the country had not seen such a situation for several “decades”.

“People do not eat to satisfy their hunger. People don’t have food. There is a high level of violence. And we will do all that is necessary and will work together to do whatever is necessary to help settle this, ( … ). What is happening is really a shame for humanity,” said Donald Trump.

For his part, Nicolas Maduro, received on Thursday the support of the Russian president. During a telephone conversation, Vladimir Putin “stressed the right of the venezuelan people to choose their own destiny without outside intervention, in the face of radical forces which can count with the support from the outside”, according to a press release of the diplomacy of venezuela.

The opposition leader prevented from leaving the country

In addition, the head of the venezuelan opposition Henrique Capriles has accused Thursday the authorities to prevent her from leaving the country, which continues the wave of demonstrations interspersed with violence against the government.

This former presidential candidate, he had lost little against the head of State, was supposed to go to New York (northeastern United States) to meet on Friday, the High commissioner of the UN for Human rights, Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein.

“I was informed that my passport has been cancelled”, he announced via the social networks. “My passport is valid until 2020. What they want is that I did not go to the united Nations,” he says, pretending to be “retained” by the authorities.

Retenido! https://t.co/l6lv9pdoqQ

— Henrique Capriles R. (@hcapriles) may 18, 2017

“I hope that the confiscation of the passport of Henrique Capriles is not a measure of retaliation because he was going to meet me tomorrow at the UN, reacted on Twitter to the High commissioner.

#Zeid: “Hope @hcapriles passport removal is not reprisal linked to planned meeting with me tomorrow @A #Venezuela

— Un Human Rights (@UNHumanRights) may 18, 2017

After this episode at the airport, Henrique Capriles returned to Caracas to participate in a demonstration to the ministry of the Interior, in the centre of the capital. It was blocked by the security forces shot tear gas, to which protesters responded by throwing rocks and molotov cocktails.

The coalition of the opposition, which does not slacken the pressure on Nicolas Maduro, announced the holding of assemblies, citizen-Friday, and a new day of national mobilisation on Saturday.

44th death

Venezuela is shaken since the 1 April by a wave of protests and violence, including the balance sheet now stands at 44 dead, exceeding that of the previous large series of protests by anti-Maduro between February and may 2014, according to the public prosecutor.

The latest victim is a trader of 48 years, who died Wednesday after being hit in the neck by a shot of a garde mobile during a demonstration in the State of Tachira (west), on Thursday announced the public ministry, stating that three agents had been arrested.

Determined to get the departure of the president via early general elections, the opposition has a majority in Parliament since the end of 2015, does not fail, and mobilizes every day thousands of people.

Popular anger is fueled by the deep economic and social crisis hitting the oil country, ruined by the fall in crude prices and hit by shortages of food and medicines. Inflation is the highest in the world, and crime is uncontrollable.

Since the beginning of the protest movement, the opposition leaders are denouncing the “brutal repression” by the authorities, while the government accuses its opponents of promoting “terrorist acts” in view of a “coup d’etat”.

Maduro against the “terrorists”

“Assassin Capriles!” started Nicolas Maduro on Wednesday night, accusing him of directing, with the president of the national Assembly, Julio Borges, “bands of terrorists”.

In this climate of extreme tension, the president on Wednesday ordered the deployment of 2,600 soldiers in the State of Tachira, near the colombian border, after looting and attacks against installations of the police and the army.

The day before, he had again extended the state of economic emergency, in force since January 2016, which allows him to restrict the “guaranteed” constitutional and to take special measures of”social, economic, political, and legal”. (tty/nxp)

Created: 18.05.2017, 22h43

No comments

Brought to you by:

Your AD Here ! Contact us at admin@appnews.be

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to AppNews and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Official Fan Page